Lucas Arruda’s born in 1983, in a Brazilian state called Espírito Santo, near Rio de Janeiro. Coming from a musical family (his dad and older brother are musicians) he started playing and listening to music very young. At the age of 13, he was also playing professionally already.
After studying electric guitar and a few years spent playing in various bands with friends, Lucas passion quickly turned into Rhodes and keyboards, expanding his musical range of skills. At the same time he started a project called Du Black, with his older brother, Thiago, quickly receiving various local support from people such as Ed Motta, William Magalhães (Banda Black Rio), Robert Lamm (Chicago) or Hyldon (Brazilian soul legend).
From the growing notoriety obtained with their first release, the band began to work with various other artists and singers such as Tamy Macedo, Idalina Dornellas, or Bossa Nova’s legend, Leila Pinheiro. Lucas also worked on the side for several other projects, which led him to build a recording studio with Thiago in 2011.
This decision was a large step in his musical career and the next two years were indeed filled with great new collaborations alongside artists like Azee Project, Danny Perez (English producer), or Guida de Palma (Jazzinho). Now 2 years after he launched this home-studio, here comes “Sambadi”, first single and title of Lucas Arruda’s upcoming first solo LP!
In Lucas’ words, Sambadi is highly inspired by Rio de Janeiro: “I’m living between two places, but my music and my heart are all in Rio”. As for the musical side, the album almost sounds like a tribute to his longtime heroes, with tasty influences by Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield, Marcos Valle, Azymuth, Robson Jorge & Lincoln Olivetti amongst many others. And Lucas also humbly concludes: “With Sambadi, I really hope to honor all the guys who influenced me.”
Favorite Recordings will release his first LP called « Sambadi » in spring 2013. In the meantime a Limited 7inch including an exclusive remix from Patchworks will be out on January 28th 2013.
BUY THE 7inch HERE
- Osunlade (Yoruba Records): “Lovely and smooth!”
- Jay Scarlett (Ampsoul): “Great Vibes for 2013!!”
- DJ Tomas (Friday Night Session / Google Play): “Wow! I love both these mixes. Deep, soulful, Brazilian business that will work perfectly in the club. Great production.”
- Toshio Matsuura (TOKYO MOON / InterFM / UFO): “Both mix are nice! will support. “
- Anthony Valadez (KCRW): “Nice! “
- Mad Mats (Local talk / Raw Fusion): “Beautiful jazzy brazil vibes :)”
- Simbad (Various .Worldwide . Brownswood): “This is nice !! Feelin the original, a bit of sunshine for the winter.”
- Steve Owen (DJ / iTunes UK): “Lovely mellow sounds, pefect for January – both mixes are great.”
- Juergen Drimal/Freedom Satellite (Superfly Radio/head of music): “”Sambadi (Main Mix)” is my favorite and will be supported on superfly.fm!”
- Miles Bonny (Innatesounds): “Mizell Brothers 2013! Love the remix.. funky broken beat shit. Always dig Patchworks”
- Julius (Laid Back radio): “es! A release filled with sunshine to cope with the grey weather. Thank you.”
- Dj Scribe (I Love Vinyl (Ilovevinyl.Org)): “Nice. Quality stuff.”
- DJ Rahdu (BamaLoveSoul.com/Editor-In-Chief): “Sambadi is one of those tracks destined to be listened to on dusty vinyl with appreciation. Beautiful instrumentation and vocals with an undeniable groove, it’s perfect!”
- James Barrie (Audio Texture-Radio): “Pure summer vibes on the main cut, can imagine playing it on a nice warm beach session”
- Simon Harrison (Basic Soul Radio Show): “Classy track”
- Merijn Tiemessen (Wicked Jazz Sounds): “Refreshing!”
- Robert Lochmann (Radio X): “very nice jazzfunk tracks. both of them get my full support”
- Soulist (What The Funk): “Lovely smooth , Lucas Arruda is a great discover for me. “
- Mars Blackmon (Radio Grenouille): “Wweet surprise for 2013 !”